Wednesday, December 28, 2011
You better know that this horse crazy girl saw this movie as soon as she possibly could, and she was NOT disappointed!
Disclaimer: I already knew I would love this movie simply because a horse is the featured star. I admit, I'm slightly biased as I type this. ha ha.
I haven't seen a horse movie this beautifully done since I first fell in love with Black Beauty. ( similar story in some ways) As a very young girl I was only gifted with the chance to ride or even pet a horse only a handful of times. I lived in the city in a very packed neighborhood and horses were very scarce. I was itching to even see a horse and completed immersed myself in them as often as I could. I was the definition of a horse crazy girl. I remember visiting the library weekly and reading every horse book I could find. If a horse was on the cover or in the description I was reading it. But horse movies by far were my favorite and still are! Black Beauty, Black Stallion, National Velvet, Saddle Club, and all the rest.
The trend lately in Hollywood though has been racehorse movies, and while I LOVE Seabiscuit, Secretariat, and Dreamer... I was especially excited about this movie. I've always loved War period movies, and this was about a War Horse? perfect. Intense war scenes, but lighthearted bonding moments as well. An emotional drama for sure. It was filled with bravery & laughter, a true tearjerker, yet it really shined a light on the impact horses can have on our lives.. directly or indirectly. The bond a rider/owner has with their horse is as real as the movie presents it. I've always seen it as a very special gift that God has blessed us with opportunity to experience. Even if you aren't as involved with the four legged world as I am, this is a GREAT movie... be prepared to shed some tears, grin ear to ear, and have your heart warmed.
Image via Pinterest
Saturday, December 24, 2011
well. Tomorrow is Christmas 2011. It's insane to think that we are in the year 2011, and Christmas is tomorrow...when did that sneak up on us?! I absolutely love this time of the year...because it has always felt to me like one big door is about close while another is ready to spring right open. I am on the edge of my seat praying I am prepared for what God has in store! This time around Christmas is on a Sunday ( in case you didn't know) I can't think of any better place to be on this Holiday than sitting on a long church pew with my family on either side of me... I pray the Lord will bless me to realize how incredibly blessed I am. Gosh. My life is filled to the brim with so much good, I just need to have open eyes to it all. Christmas eve my family enjoys Holiday food and a fitting movie ( we watch a whole lot of classic Christmas movies around this time of year.) This year's vote was Holiday Inn. Bing Crosby, you're a true Gent. Tomorrow we are off to Sunday morning church service, and then home for gift opening and a whole lot of eating & more movie watching. Around here we enjoy a laid back, take it easy, enjoy the memories kinda Christmas. Merry Christmas
Image via Pinterest.
Sunday, December 18, 2011
^Delilah and I^
There is just something so rewarding when it comes to riding & being out on the farm. Nearly everyday this past week I have made the 20 mile back road drive to Two Hoots Farm (where the family horse is boarded and where I train horses/ride and give riding lessons). The farm, located on 55 acres of pure country and woodland, was so named because of the two owls that live on the property, usually as the sun sets they are found resting on the telephone line in front of the farm... gives the place a very serene feel at night.
I strap on my riding breeches, pack up the car with a sister or two & Titus, and we head off. The afternoons are spent grooming horses, chatting, watching Titus run non-stop around his newfound playground..herding birds or following me as I ride. And we ride , practice Dressage, fly over fences, and are full of smiles.
The weather has been what we call "Horse Weather" here in Florida. 60-70 degrees with a brilliant blue sky and warm sunshine. The horses are happy and we could ride for hours. Florida can been brutal in the summer for riding, so I take advantage of afternoon rides like this. While the world may be constantly moving and changing, riding has been the same for hundreds of years. I like that about it. The familiar smells of worn leather, horse, hay & grain.... the sounds of neighing, clanking of stirrups, and clomping of riding boots. I've grown up on these senses.
The feeling of being on a horse is like no other, being blessed with that gift.. and being able to communicate with them & learn from them.. God is good!
Thursday, December 15, 2011
Remember that "Winter Break To-Do List" I mentioned? well I believe I have completed it.
It's not something you're going to oooh and ahhh at... but there is just something about list making. That feeling of a cluttered mind organized on paper. Goals, things that need be remembered and checked off. Possibilities! Written in pencil of course in case I need to switch things around. Now, if only I could be organized about WHERE I keep my lists. I have a habit of just writing them in whatever notebook I find... and then forgetting where I wrote it. Ah, but I thought of a BRILLIANT plan. One notebook=all my lists. genius. So here goes, this is just a simplified list of things I need/want to set in motion during my break... so perhaps some of them will become habit by next year when the spring semester starts up.
My main goal this month is Balance... I need to rebalance some areas in my life.
- Start a daily bible study. I'm going to be honest here... I've put a lot more time studying the topics related to my degree than God's word. There really is no excuse for that... God should come first, even if I only study one bible verse a day and pray. God comes first. ALWAYS. So I'm thinking I can read my AMAZING daily devotional bible in the mornings... and then really take the time to start studying a book of the bible at night...maybe one chapter a night.. if I have any questions I'm literally feet away from a full time minister= bonus points!
- Manage money better. I've never been great with finances... not that I'm in debt or anything, but even though I've paid the majority of all my own bills & bought anything I need with my own money since I was about 14 , I quickly lose track of my spendings and savings. With my life as a college student entering its last chapter.... I have realized I need to start some good saving/spending habits... long term ones. So I've bought a little book where I literally write every single dime and penny I spend, and transfer, and when/why I use my debit & credit cards. This may be old news and old habit to a lot of you... but for me this a new habit! I'm hoping that with seeing where my money is going I'll be more aware of what changes need to be made.
- Health & Wellness Reboot. I never realized how weak my body can get after bending over books for four months, and what a HUGE toll stress has taken on my body as well. I stress easily over things when I have a lot on my plate, and I think 7 classes+work+internship+service learning really was a lot for my body and I quickly lost track of my health and well being.. if I'm not in good health I certainly won't have good mental health to learn and study! So this week I really slept a lot... and now I feel like I'm to the point where I have a normal sleep pattern again..hooray! I'm also taking group classes at the YMCA like Pilates, Yoga, and Body Sculpting... not everyday but I really need to build up my strength and group classes really keep me motivated. I'm spending a lot of time outdoors with Titus, taking walks/light runs, and going to the horse farm ( riding is GREAT physical exercise!) I'm taking advantage of the sunshine, which is also great for my health! Every day I am doing some sort of physical thing, I'm not grounding myself to the treadmill or gym everyday. I feel like mixing things up is healthier. I'm also focusing on my eating habits... you know us college students can develop some horrible eating habits. I'm fine tuning my herbal remedy routine, vitamins, and making sure I add a lot of color to my plate. I'm also taking time to just sit and read or daydream.. my brain needs a mental break. Praying is perfect for this!
- Improve time in the Saddle. Because of school I have had to take A LOT of time away from my riding and training the horses. The horses have had their vacation and so have I. With this break I want to take advantage of the extra time I have and ride as much as I can! I'm setting up a schedule for training the horses and also focusing on getting back into shape as a rider ( Pilates class helps! ha ha).
- Spend quality time with friends & family. That is, if I still have friends. ha ha, just kidding! School has taken me away from a lot, including seeing family and friends as much as I would like... so planning time with my girls, movie dates with the group, and outings with family is on the agenda! I don't want to take for granted the time I have with them!
Hope you had a wonderful day!
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
Hey, if you aren't too busy over at your blog and you have a chance to share the news of my Grand Re-Opening.... I'll totally add you to my "favorite blogs" list which I am making right now! ( because awesome people are always my favorite!)
ha ha...wow this is getting cheesier by the minute.
Thanks so much!
Monday, December 12, 2011
is literally what I said as I walked out of the classroom just a few hours ago. I just took final #7, which was the last exam of the semester, and boy does it feel GREAT to be a free woman again!
Wow, what a huge mental weight that has been lifted off my shoulders. I know it'll take a few days for it to sink in that I am done with term 4 of 5. ( which means next semester is my LAST one, and then I graduate. from college. insane!)
I feel like I can see the sunshine again, I can breathe.
Winter Break is HERE!!!! Four weeks of no studying, cramming, stressing, and questioning whether or not I'll make it to next semester. I finally have a chance to catch up on sleep, family, revive my non-existent social life....... I can read for fun, I can watch movies late at night... I don't have to wear navy blue scrubs.... I can give the horses some attention again.
I don't have to deal with that guilty feeling of " oh, I really should be studying 5 billion things right now."
You have no idea how thankful I am that God has blessed me to pass yet another semester. He really has been so good to me, without His blessings I would not be where I am today!
So, I am looking at 4, almost completely blank, weeks in my calender. There are quite a few things I want do during this upcoming month... time to make a "Winter Break To-Do List"
This truly is the best Monday ever!
Sunday, December 11, 2011
Yes, you are in fact reading a post written by Rachel... Looks like blogger has pulled me back in.
With my winter break approaching in less than 24 hours... I think it's a rather good time to start typing away again. I need a way to motivate myself , document life's happenings, and keep tabs on some of the many ideas I have swirling in my head right now. Blogger used to do just that, and perhaps it will do it again!
ok, maybe I just miss this blank blogger box that lets me write as much as I want...and never argues back...... ha ha!
Hope you had a really blessed Sunday.