Sunday, January 22, 2012
All this racing through my mind in the middle of a beautiful Sunday service, surrounded by my sisters and church family, and I am busy mentally going through my worry checklist.
That's when it hit me. I have a GREAT life, I say this firmly believing that I really do have an amazing. blessed. life. The fact that I am alive today, healthy and blessed with the ability to sense, learn, laugh and love...is proof of that.
yet, I was also hit by the question. WHY? why do I lose sight of that so quickly? Why do I weigh myself down with the worry about what I need to do, haven't done, or forgot to do. I put pressure on myself and am deathly afraid of making mistakes in so many areas of my life. Why do I forget about how GREAT my life is despite the worries?
Folks. It's because I am sinner. Plain and simple, and while we all have our share of bad habits, my # 1 is worry.
but then, during the midst of my daydream worry fest.... I suddenly remembered a conversation I had recently had with a friend , and the nugget of wisdom they unknowingly shared with me was suddenly revealed.This friend hit my issue nail on the head, sliced it right down the middle I tell ya.
" being selfless isn't thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less. In a way, worrying about things you need to do, or if you made a mistake, or afraid of forgetting something, or not doing it right the first time.. that's really all a form of selfish thinking. In reality you are consumed with yourself and your own problems. Instead, you should be consumed with God, and what you can do for others. That, is true selflessness. "
can I get an Amen? .
I have a BLESSED life. It does not deserve the worry and neglect I hand off to it, God does not deserve that. Each morning I wake up, I have a fresh chance to be truly SELFLESS.
Hope you all had a truly wonderful weekend!
Image via Pinterest- because every post needs a pretty picture.
Thursday, January 12, 2012
So, I've always loved, loved, loved classical music. Especially the Cello , Violin, and Piano. ( but the Cello is my all time favorite, I used to beg my Mom to let me play it). And over the past few months I've discovered some amazing artists who keep the classical music alive, but throw in their own modern style or personal twist to it. Granted, I will always enjoy Mozart.....but I love how fresh, new, and exciting this music is. So feast your ears on some great stuff, I've had these guys on repeat. (P.S -Lindsey Stirling is fantastic for running!)
Monday, January 9, 2012
I also really enjoy planning out my new year resolutions... however I often get incredibly carried away with them and end up with a mile long list! ( always the overachiever..). With this being my final semester of the Veterinary Technology Program and College in general, one of my "resolutions" is to make my resolutions list light, but still with a little challenge here and there.
So here goes!
1. Read my Daily devotional bible, daily..ha ha. I love this book because it is KJV, & everyday is a 2 page mixture of Old & New testament, plus some Proverbs and Psalms, along with a daily verse and small devotional related to what I read that day. This is perfect for my easily distracted brain! PLUS I will be able to finish the entire Bible in one year. BINGO!
2. Diet Change. For personal health reasons I am going to be completely cutting out ALL Sugar and Gluten from my diet, along with replacing store bought Dairy with Raw grass fed dairy, and meat. I hope to make this a lifetime habit. In fact, my family is slowly making this change with me. ( yay for support!) I've been making these changes with the help of a few close friends/and health mentors, along with doing boatloads of research. This is a slow process for us since it takes time to find replacements for what we normally use and also reliable/ethical dairy & meat vendors.... so we aren't there yet, but slow and steady wins the race! ( more updates on this to come!)
3. Learn to play the Guitar. I've owned a beautiful guitar for many many years now, but only play a handful of chords. ( ok, make that 3 ha ha) Yet I've always dreamed of playing and singing... so I shall attempt to practice daily even if it's only for 10min, and also, a best friend of mine ( who is a talented musician) has offered to give me weekly lessons via Skype! Huzzah!!
4. Graduate from the Vet Tech program in May and pass the national certification exam in June! ( no description needed here )
5. Live in the moment. I want to look at each day individually, not stress about the upcoming days, but live in each moment by putting God first. Because honestly none of know when our last day is, and I have an awful habit of stress/worry, why waste moments worrying about the future? God wants us to serve and honor Him NOW, not later.
So that's it! 5 resolutions, I think they are pretty well balanced... I'm excited to put them into practice and will perhaps do monthly reviews to keep track of my progress!
oh, and not only is it a new year, & new age for me, but I was hired to a NEW job! I just started training as a technician at an Animal Hospital near me. The clinic is amazing and I absolutely love the vets and staff so far, God has been good!
Happy New Year!
Image via Pinterest
p.s. I would be incredibly thankful if any of you readers would share the news of my blog Re-Reopening! I'm slowly trying to get the word out, in return I will post your blog link on my sidebar!