Monday, July 23, 2012

Growing Up?




Today is my Granpda's ( we called him Paw as kids and still do!) 86th birthday.
I asked him on the phone today how old he is and he simply told me " 86 years and one day, because you know I was born at night..I've come this far and got some more to go!" 

Talking to Paw these days brings back a flood of memories, I remember visiting his house last year and how stepping through that door ( this was same house my Mom grew up in) nearly brought tears to my eyes. A lifetime of memories fill those four walls, wooden floors, and woods out back.... and the weight of all that hit me like a truck! I had never felt an impact like that before. 
 With growing up comes realization, the realization that life is just a vapor, 
you blink and it's already halfway over.

-granted, I am far from "old"...in my book at least..... in fact,  I have told folks before that I refuse to say I am "old" or "I'm getting old" .......I prefer using the phrase "growing up" because that means I am still partly a kid, ya get my drift? ha ha! ok, so I  can't avoid growing old, but I can at least look at it from a different point of view eh?-

As a kid I couldn't wait to grow up, then I could do things on my own, make tons of new friends and meet loads of new people. Hey, I might have a new friend every single week PLUS see the world!!
 I was on a mission.
Sure, I loved my family, we used to visit Paw's house every month, and my Aunt lived right down the road. As a kid I loved my  family, but I feel like as a kid I never quite understood the gravity of that love. You may feel it, but you never fully understand it until you grow a little bit. I visited Paw and my Aunt a lot, I LOVED playing at their houses...but a lot of the time I just couldn't wait to see my new friends, I couldn't wait until I was a teenager and could go super awesome places with all my friends.
And then I was a young teenager and sometimes visiting Paw or my Aunt meant sitting and talking for hours...I just couldn't wait to get up and do something, or go somewhere with all my friends. 

Talking to Paw  made me realize, that over the past few years my circle of friends has dwindled down to those that have been through thick and thin with me, I love them like family, and my family I love even more.
It's no longer about the quantity of friends that I have, but the quality. When I am with the ones I love my heart literally feels like it is about to burst with the deep care I have for them! I am so blessed to know them, and the fact that they are there for me no matter what blows my mind. Life is but a vapor. Cherish it and live it to the fullest! I used to be on a mission to add to my circle, now I simply just want to count my blessings- to count the blessings I already have. 
Don't get me wrong, I still love meeting new people and making new friends, it's just not my "mission" anymore to have as many as possible! Quality. it's about the quality of new people I meet :-)

I am learning, that with growing up comes more perspective.
 ( and sometimes this growing up stuff makes my head hurt a little bit! ha ha.)

Happy birthday Paw, you are a wise man, you are never afraid to show your love for your family and friends, and I miss your ultra tight bear hugs that you give while firmly whispering in my ear" I. love. you." 




1 comment:

Blue Sue said...

I really enjoyed this post. I too feel like I'm becoming more appreciative of my grandparents and all the older folks in my life. I guess the older I get, the more I realize how much more they've seen and done than me.